Replace Vs Unblock
One of the questions RTF Plumbing and Gasfitting often get asked with blocked and damaged drains is “do I have to replace my drains?” The answer isn’t always simple.
The biggest issue with answering this question is that there are a lot of reasons your drains could be blocked. Some of the common problems include:
- Grease build-up on the inside of your drains – the grease then traps hair and other material
- Feminine hygiene products or other foreign objects (like children’s toys) that have been flushed down the toilet
- Toilet paper can also cause the problem when there isn’t enough pressure within the pipe
- Damaged and cracked drains
- Plant matter and roots breaking into your pipes
In some of these cases the solution is clear cut, a build-up of material, whatever it is, can usually be identified and cleared quickly. Broken pipes can also be identified easily and then replaced. But it’s not that simple.
Over time the inside of your pipes can build-up with grease and other damage that will often lead to regular blockages. If blockages do become a regular occurrence then the most cost-effective solution may be to install new pipes. While in general unblocking your drains is a much better solution then a full replacement, the hassle and cost of repeated blocked drain call-outs can add up.
If you need help identifying your drain issues in Narre Warren North, Berwick, Rowville, Ferntree Gully, or any other South Eastern Suburb of Melbourne, then give RTF Plumbing and Gasfitting a call. We’re happy to answer any of your drainage questions and can provide you with experienced backed advice and service.